Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sunday at Notre Dame Cathedral

My son Will and his lovely friend Yesenia arrived yesterday via train from Lyon where they were attending a week-long cooking class compliments of College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn, IL. I was so happy to see them! And so happy to have someone to talk to after three days of only speaking broken French with politely tolerant natives.

I spent the day walking from my apartment into Paris, enjoying the Ile de la Cite (sorry, no accent marks) and having a cafe and chocolate mousse before heading over to the Gare de Lyon, what seems like the world's largest train station. While waiting for Will and Yesenia's train to come in, I walked along the Quai (prounounced "kee") and admired all the books and prints in each of the little kiosks that are draped along the side of the Seine. I was startled to see a swimming pool for children and their families right next to the river. People on the boat tour waved to me as I peered over le Pont St. Michel, one of the many bridges connecting the Left Bank (Rive Gauche) to the Right Bank (Rive Droit).

This morning we're headed to Notre Dame for services which the Internet says are offered six times on Sunday.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Why am I reminded of my childhood book, "Eloise in Paris." Can I just call you Eloise from now on? ;-)