Monday, June 4, 2007

Paris Journey, Parte Deux

The first phase of my journey here in Paris is complete, and Parte Deux begins. I said goodbye to my friend Diane at the airport this morning (kissing on both cheeks as is the custom) and then checked into the nearby Sofitel Hotel where we are having our sales training meetings this week. I expect John and Kristen will be in any moment if they aren't already here.

My original intention with this blog was to enter comments each night as my trip unfolded but, alas, that was not to be. The Internet connection at the first hotel was only available for WiFi, and I needed a cable connection... that's when I ventured forth to the business center (see previous entry) and encountered my first international business adventure--a French keyboard! I'm now hooked up via my own laptop but shall make this short, as I've been catching up on e-mail and am not sure what the end result will be in terms of local phone charges.

Just a few highlights from Parte Une:
--Diane and I hit as many cafes as we could and did our level best to boost the local economy which, thanks to the exchange rate, isn't in need of much boosting. We hit the ground running on Day One and went directly to Notre Dame cathedral in Isle de la Cite (sorry I can't add those wonderful accent marks via this keyboard). We averaged three destinations per day and got in as much coffee (me) and diet Coke (her) as we could consume along with delectable pastries and ample meals.

--As fascinating as the sights are the people! For the most part we were welcomed enthusiastically and I was able to practice my feeble French, although I said to Diane more than once that I wildly overestimated my ability to communicate and was beyond humbled. I seem to have forgotten all my verbs. (And all that Spanish I learned in between got in the way.) But people-watching from a sidewalk cafe, in the Metro, walking down the street, was the most enjoyable of all sports.

--Of course the usual sights, Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, the bridges, the Louvre, the Musee d'Orsay, the Musee d'Orangerie, were all amazing. We saw the Mona Lisa, Winged Victory, Venus de Milo, murals of Monet's waterlilies and other priceless, famous pieces of art, so much it made my head spin. It's hard to look at Whistler's Mother and not see her on one of those commercials on TV that brought her to life.

--The food! From the bread to the meats and desserts, we had so much wonderful food that I'm not sure all the walking truly did compensate for the input. But the chocolate tartette I had on the second day (or was that the first?) was as close to heaven as one can get.

--We went to church Sunday at Notre Dame cathedral and attended the Mass which was, of course, said in French. The majesty of the cathedral is impossible to describe, and I thought of our organist at home, Bill Crosbie, as I listened to the organ reverberate through the nave. There were many faithful in attendance, participating in the service while the hum of tourists continued in a circle around us. The Affirmation of Faith, while said in another language, was comforting and familiar.

I'm off to connect with John and make some revisions to tomorrow's presentation. I feel blessed beyond measure to be here and thrilled to be accessible by e-mail again. There may be a Blackberry in my future after all.

No comments: