Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sunday Adventure

Today I'm headed up to McFarland, WI, to celebrate the high school graduation of Peter Grenzow, the son of my oldest "BFF." Leslie Grenzow (nee Proctor) and I grew up together for some years in a two-flat in Milwaukee and we broke all the roller-skating records on our block the old-fashioned way--with the kind of skates that are clamped to your shoes and then a strap around the ankle. We kept our skate keys on a string around our necks.

I'm still amazed that my "girlfriends" are graduating children from high school AND college... and that my nieces and nephews are having babies of their own.

Leslie and I have a ritual rendezvous: several times a year we meet in Richmond, IL, which is half-way between our respective homes in McFarland and Wheaton. Richmond is a quaint little town filled with antique shops. We hit the shops, have lunch, hit the shops again and hug goodbye until our next rendezvous. She and I had a standing date on the morning my dad passed away and I kept the date--who better to console me than my oldest friend? I drove up for her dad's funeral and it was my great comfort to be in the kitchen with the "church ladies" as we cleaned and dried dishes after the reception.

Today will be a celebration, and I'm honored to be a guest.

No comments: